September 19, 2006

Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Fragrance


I have to admit a secret, sinful ulterior motivation for having male friends stay over: I love to go through their toiletries. A few weeks ago a couple of gay male friends of mine, Brian and Jeremy, stayed at my house.

It was like Christmas waking up early that first morning and going into the bathroom. Jeremy always smells divine and I couldn't wait to uncover a mass of secret boy chemicals to add to my shopping list.

This said, I really wasn't sure what to make of the bright orange, kitchy tin of pomade on my bathroom counter.

I have been using pomade, Crew, since shaving my head almost a year ago. Crew comes in a variety of finishes and strengths. It is what some people refer to as "product." Crew smells like shampoo and is a fairly pliable paste or gel that is easy to work into one's hand. It is water soluble and can be diluted in your palm for the desired consistency before applying to your hair. It works in wet or dry hair and is considered "workable" meaning that it doesn't stiffen and can be combed throughout the day.

So, I was surprised to open the can of Murrays and discover a thick sticky wax. Fearing I might be about to get in over my head in the secret life of men's bathroom supplies I closed the lid and commenced reading the instructions.

The lid prominently features a man and a woman. I liked the idea that this has been a unisex, multi-racial product since 1925.

Here is what I learned from the package:

MURRAY'S SUPERIOR HAIR DRESSING POMADE


A WONDERFUL DRESSING FOR THE HAIR


Holds hair in place. Perfectly harmless and does not contain any acids or alkalies. Controls bobbed hair.

M a n u f a c t u r e d b y :
MURRAYS SUPERIOR PRODUCTS CO.
1100 Woodward Heights
Ferndale, MI 48220

Also distributors of Murray's Hair-Glo a soft brilliantine glossine-like hair dressing for all grades of hair.

Ingredients: Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Fragrance

D I R E C T I O N S
FOR MEN: First see that hair is clean. If hair is thick mix MURRAY'S HAIR-GLO with portion of pomade to be used on hair. Rub into palms of hands until it softens, then rub thoroughly into hair. Dampen the hair with hot water, or place hot, damp towel on head for a few minutes. Remove, comb all traces of pomade out of the hair, then comb and brush into style wanted. Place a special MURRAY'S HAIR PRESSING CAP on the head until hair dries.

Apparently, women are expected to already know how to use pomade since there aren't any directions for women.

So, I tried the pomade and to my great delight it works brilliantly. I used the faintest amount of the sticky gook and it held my hair for the entire day.

Later, I asked Brian how he had come across it:

"Well, I am obsessed with keeping my hair spiky. No matter what I did it would always get messed up or flat by the end of the day. So, I started asking some of the gals at work what I should use. One girl said, "Oh, do you want the kind of hair that doesn't move? The kind you can go swimming in the lake and come out and it will still be perfect? The kind you can drive with the windows down smoking a cigarette and still look good?" Then she recommended Murray's pomade."

Today, I was in CVS with my mom. My $25 container of Crew is empty and I have been scraping the sides and corners like a peanut butter jar to get out enough residual residue to keep my hair from becoming a frightening mass. I couldn't rightly ask her to buy me more Crew. So, I was ever-so-pleasantly surprised to discover that I could buy Murray's Pomade for $2.99.

What a great deal! There is enough insanely potent petrolatum in this tin to last me two years. Though, I am considering augmenting my supply with another product by Murray's, Nu-Nile.


It is for slightly more manageable hair.

If you would like to learn more about Murray's Hair Products or if you would like to buy me a kitchy shirt for Christmas, check out their groovey website: murrayspomade.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Murray's reminds me of good ole brands that haven't changed their style like Carmex and Altoids. Because they're good and come in a tin and they don't need to worry about what their brand promise is. Ok, well I just looked at their websites and they are way more high-fallutin that I expected. I stand by my tin comment.

Matthew said...

Carmex is great.