August 11, 2006

Thirty Days to Literal Greatness

I started writing my first thirty-day novel today. This is the most brilliantly-fun thing I have worked on in months. I absolutely love it. The idea is to write a 175-page, 50,000-word book in thirty days. The way this is acheived is by refusing to edit, restructure, prestructure, etc. You just sit down and write as quickly as you can (some level of coherent trains of thought are good). Now, I am currently unemplyed and that sucks because it means I am poor, but on the up side I am already well over 5,000 words into my first novel. So, I would like to give a big shot-out to the craptacular bigots in the world that made me realize that I wanted to do something more important with my life than deal with their infantile phobias about queers. For those of you that have those things called jobs and families, have no fear you only need to write about 1,500 words a day. That is nothing. It is like whipping out a crappy three-page, 12 point, double-spaced paper for a class ON ANYTHING YOU WANT. Hello, trust me, write yourself a novel. It feels good.

Also, it is possible that I am manic, or maybe slightly manic-depressive.

5 comments:

cl said...

B, George and I have both done this! Did you know that? I wrote a rotten, fun murder mystery last fall, and George wrote some kind of space adventure. Hope you stick with it. It's a great experience.

Matthew said...

Thanks for the encouragement CL! I am already over 15,000 words in after one week so I am pretty sure I will be able to get it done in a month. I think there is actually some good stuff in the book so far. I wonder how much work I would have to do to turn it into something that could actually get published.

cl said...

If you ever struggle on exposition, create a Jack. My Jack was dispatched to fetch the police or pour drinks whenever I needed to keep the action moving with the key characters present. All Jack did was go in and out the door for 52,000 words and occasionally say: "It's OK, guys! I'm on it!"

Anonymous said...

i knew that somewhere in our somewhat dysfunctional family there was someone sort of like me.
i love you beth.

Matthew said...

You can't spell dysfunctional without the word fun.