August 23, 2006

Animal magnetism

Several days ago I was shocked to stand up from my computer, turn around and see a feral cat slinking its way across the living room. Pippa the Circus Dog was sound asleep behind my chair while I was writing. As I stood, she awoke and looked at the cat as if it were the most natural thing in the world for a wild cat to be prancing around her house.

The two of us peaceably walked the cat, which was skinny as a pancake, missing large patches of fur and had a tail that was broken at a 90° angle, to the back door. It has been hanging around ever since. I haven't fed the rascally looking thing. But I haven't actively tried to scare it away either.

Two nights ago Pip and I went out for late night potty break. The cat was waiting at the back door. The two of them sauntered off under a bush and hung out there for about 20 minutes. I am not positive that they were making out, but I have no way of disproving it, so that is the story that will stand.

This morning I went to start my car and the cat was curled up in the back seat on Pip's blanket. (I had cracked the windows the day before. She is extremely skinny.)

This, I guess, is how it came to be that my Heinz 57 Circus Dog has been going around with a feral cat. I am not one to judge. Hey, you find warmth and compassion where you find it.

1 comment:

valencia said...

you always leave me wanting more- i love health food freaks. freaks because you've skated way past the norm of most people's reality of their true human existance. for most its easy to be- for freaks- its torment.