August 11, 2006

I'm not the only one with body image

So, my sister read the post from yesterday, "The Ties That Unbind Us." And she cried at work, in front of her coworkers, which to be honest was an anticipated thrill I had from writing it. I knew there would be a call or an instant message today along the lines of "you are an asshole, but I love you too." So, I would just like to point out that the most immediately touching line from my essay for my sister was when I called her "thin." This killed me because she has always been thin and I said so many more important things about her. But it is true. If someone called me thin, or honestly better yet, muscular, in their blog that would be the thing I would latch onto to. Apparently, we all already know we are good people. What we really need our friends and families to tell us how goddamn attractive we are.

So, this brings me to a genuine idea that I have been mulling over for, oh, about a month and a half now. I really, really, really want to make an alternative women's and trans-centric fashion magazine. I think this is something that could have a profound influence on young people. To see the women in print as teens and young adults that I see on a regular basis as an adult in lesbian nightclubs, gay bars and, heck, in small Midwestern towns. Women who have some how managed to create their own visual identity. And hear me straight, visual identity, the way you dress has very significant meaning, it is not shallow or stupid. If younger people could see this I think it would open up so many doors for them both in terms of their gender and sexuality (straight, gay or anything in between, tangential, skew, etc) but also just in terms of their comfort in being personally expressive and individually creative.

Who's with me? I need a team. Photographers, writers, editors, designers, publishers, vendors! let's get to work, people! I want pictures of women with healthy body weights, tattoos, piercings, scars, every kind of clothing, strap-ons, softies, boobs, no boobs, you name it.

Seriously, I think I might actually be able to pull this off. I don't know why I think that or how I will do it, but it is just worth it.

No comments: