December 6, 2006

What You Talking 'Bout, Willus

People say great things. They do it all the time. Now, I don't know if I ellicit this behavior or if I just happen to be more attuned to it on account of the little notebook I carry everywhere, but I seem to get more than my fair share of wonderful quotes.

Just this morning (it is only 11:30) I have encountered the following:

"The university could use more ass appeal."
When discussing an upcoming movie starring Jessica Simpson as a graduate of our fine school a coworker noted that it was likely to have more draw than About Schmidt which also referenced our school. My coworker went on to say we could use more "ass appeal" as a play on the saying 'mass appeal.'

"Celebrate you infuencers."
Another coworker said this while we talked about the problem with always trying to be original or best in class. He told me that his porfessor in college, the Aaron Siskind, told his students that they should celebrate their influencers and not be afraid to get ideas from other people.

"We squander the opportunity to appeal to our audience's higher self."
This same coworked lamented a certain PR attitude that dictates a focus on damage control and plajoritive plattitudes because they ultimately say nothing, especially to the people we most desperately want to make meaningful connections with.

"The ONLY way to spin things is to embrace them."
Along those same lines, I was shocked when these words came out of my mouth. I was making the argument that in the world of GradeMyProfessor.com and YouTube.com the only way to stay above the fray is to embrace the process, learn from it and make institutional adjustments. We cannot keep 'bad' news from getting out. Instead we should focus on fixing problems, promoting good news and honestly confronting bad news.

"Listening to Peach Plum Pear while sucking back cherry laughing gas is one of the strangest experiences I have ever had."
The Activist said that. I asked her to clarify. She responded, "I could feel myself getting high and there was this inspirational poster directly in front of me: Courage doesnt always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says 'I'll try again tomorrow.' It took all of my self control to not bust out laughing. 'I am blue and unwell.' (Lyrics from the song Peach Plum Pear.) I thought of you and dancing with Pip."

Anyhow, if you would like to peruse some even better overheard quotes check out this site: OverheardoOncCampus.com

No comments: