November 27, 2006

Thanks, Giving

Thank you for staying here tonight
And marking the places where you had been
I just found the hair you left me
In the bathroom garbage can

Thank you for the half-full cup of coffee
With a moth floating in it and
The bruise in the full-sized mirror
I like it there

Thank you for forgiving me for talking
It is an old habit I am looking forwards to kicking
In the ribs and telling to suck me off

Thank you for believing me, for climbing on top of my body
When I told you I wanted to be inside of you

Thank you for sensing that I am not
What biology keeps insisting I should be
And that I am only my body and nothing more

Thank you for tying me up and leaving me
For dead before kissing me and finding
The place between my brain and my sex
Where all the knotted muscles twist

Thank you for shyly pushing through
That osmotic barrier
That pretends to stand between us
When you almost cried I felt overcome
I could have floated away
If it wasn't for the pink in your dark cheeks

And so thank you for osmoting through my front door
Globulin and cholesterol, swim bladder and rats

Thank you, now come back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The things left behind remain on my mind but they are not the items you list. You make it easy to believe and easier push through.

Matthew said...

Ah, well, you must be speaking of the things we both left behind. Those things are gone. Let's celebrate living without them.

So a toast to our forgetfulness.

Here is to always sleeping in our own beds, whoever else's they may be. Here is to being free of closets, whatever else they may house. Here is to being free period (and period free). Here is to being loved and knowing that love is justice, respect, compassion and care giving. Here is to beating the crap out of each other after the word please and not before it. Here is to honesty and quiet time. Here is to a thousand blushing cheeks and to cheeks streaked and blushing. Here is to you.

How was that for over dramatic?